6 Week Community Creative Action Protest!
February 13 till the end end of March
Whitehaven Coal and Idemitsu Coal are lining up their bulldozers to destroy more of the precious Leard State Forest and one of the last remaining Gomeroi sacred site in the forest: Lawlers Well.
Around the world coal prices are falling, governments are placing moratoriums on new mines and existing mines are closing. Renewable energy is now cheaper to produce than burning fossil fuels. It’s only a matter of time until Whitehaven goes bust.
Whitehaven Coal is on it financial knees and we will stop them now, with your help, before the Leard is smashed.
FrontLine Action on Coal is a welcoming and participatory grass roots group made up of diverse people from all walks of life. It doesn’t matter if you’ve never done anything like this before. There are a million ways you get get involved, from attending this event on the ground to promoting, organising and supporting from where you live.
The Leard Blockade is a pivotal campaign that continues to change lives through building community, sharing skills, and acting directly to shut down the Maules Creek and Boggabri Coal Mines to protect the Leard State Forest.
Contact us if you would like to have a chat and ask questions about how you can help. The FLAC community will help to support your action.
Four things you can do today!
- Organize your time so you can make this historic event. Block out a section of your diary from Feb 15, or earlier if you’d like to help setup, and then let us know you’re coming.
- Write a hand written letter to Environment Minister Greg Hunt urging him to use his ministerial power to stop the destruction of Gomeroi sacred site, Lawler’s Well (click here for more information).
- Talk to your friends, family and community. Help make this event get bigger and better. Suggestions below.
- Donate to; and share our crowdfunder: www.youcaring.com/
- Join and support your local FLAC group. (Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane).
- If you don’t have a group in your local area, create one to help organise carpooling and information sessions.
- Assist with planning, event logistics, people wrangling and mentoring.
- Donate camping gear, teepees, food, bush gear. Help with Fundraising.
- Join our communications and online team. Share our posts on your social media.
- Bring a band, create art, props, graphics and banners. Be creative.
- Help with tech: solar energy and sound systems.
Let us know you’re coming
This helps us with logistics and organising.
- View past events on our blog such as ActUp 1, where the whole forest was locked down for the day. ActUp 3, where the entire mine construction site was shutdown for the day. During ActUp 5, five Whitehaven coal mines were shut down with supporting protest at Whitehavens head office’in Sydney and the rail line into the world’s largest coal port – Newcastle.
- Read the stories of inspirational people taking action on our homepage.
- View the feature documentary Black Hole
2016? Really? Give it up Australia! Renewables now!
- Whitehaven Coal and Idemistu will again start clearing the Leard State Forest on the 15th of February to the end of March, for more dirty open cut coal mining.
- Lawlers Well (Local Indigenous Sacred Site) is also under threat. (The last sacred site out of 12 they have already cleared).
- With Whitehaven’s share price well under $1 WE can make some noise and weaken them massively with some creative resistance.
- This event is a 6 WEEK long and is going to be one for the history books!